I’ve decided to do my first marathon this year. Training outside in Colorado during the winter has given me some great reminders that apply to our personal and professional lives and are quite appropriate as we start a New Year. Here are some good reminders for your fitness goals:
1. Even if you have the skill, you better have the right equipment! Trust me, California gear doesn’t cut it in 20 degree weather with ice pellets blowing in your face!
2. You MUST know your why. When things get tough (or freezing cold), your why will keep you focused on why in the world you are running in 20 degree weather in the first place! For me, my marathon is a celebration of being pain free after a very long health battle.
3. You better have purpose and a plan to keep me moving. You don’t want to stand still very long in 20 degrees to figure out what you are doing. And you can’t afford to make mistakes….so very true of our economic condition right now.
4. The first few minutes of any endeavor are always the worst. Stay focused beyond that to keep me moving. I thought my hands and face would fall off today, but I kept moving. Eventually, my body warmed up (relatively speaking!).
5. And, if you need to take a break, make it quick! The longer you stop something, the harder it is get to going again. Try running in 20 degrees…it’s a great motivator to keep moving!!
I will try to keep you posted on my progress and training adventures. As always, I enjoy hearing from you.
Have your own goals? Need some accountability? Coaching can help!