Stress is quickly becoming our country’s number one killer. It is the culprit behind many diseases and illnesses. Stress is also one of the biggest contributions to our obesity problem. Why? Because we don’t deal with it in a healthy manner. Instead, we turn to drugs, alcohol and yes, food.
Food seems to comfort us in times of frustration, depression, sadness, fear and stress. Because of this, we can overeat and eat the wrong things. The problem gets worse when we justify it because we needed something to feel better. We deserved that triple-decker chocolate cake because we had a bad day. That’s stinkin thinking!
Here’s the truth, folks. Stress isn’t going away. You aren’t going to magically have all bad things (and people) disappear and finally have that moment in your life when everything is perfect. What you need to do is kick the stress eating habit and replace it with a healthy option. Here are some suggestions:
1. Drink water instead of grabbing a snack.
2. Go for a walk, bike ride or something active.
3. Call a friend to vent.
4. Read a good book.
5. Take a hot bath or hit the hot tub.
6. Watch a movie and make your own popcorn, light on butter & salt
7. Take a nap.
8. Get a message or other spa treatment.
9. Journal your feelings and let them go.
10. Pray…turn it over to God.
Stress is a silent killer. Do something with your stress today before it does something nasty to you. Kick the stress-eating habit with my booklet, A Stress Eaters Guide to Fitness: