Summer is here! Hot weather, grilling out on the patio, bare feet, sundresses and hitting the pool are just a few of my favorite things about this time of year. Summer brings its own unique stresses, though. The bugs return and the humidity climbs. Although the kids are happy to be out of school, this can cause some strain on their parents. Bunches of vacationers and tourists are on the road, so traffic can be a bear. All of a sudden, we get too hot! Like the line in the movie Clue, we have “burning, hot flames” coming out our head, and I really do hate when that happens!
So before your head explodes, try these ten ways to keep your cool this summer:
1. Let your hair air dry after you wash it. A wet head keeps your body temperature cooler. Your hair will thank you, too (won’t get all dried out).
2. Take your workout to the pool! Enjoy the refreshing water as you tone up. I love the noodle, and pool weights are a great way to use the water resistance for strength training.
3. Don’t run your air conditioning super cold. You will never adjust to the heat, and you will always be hot! Set the thermostat higher and use ceiling fans. Hey, you’ll save money, too!
4. Get a set of popsicle makers, and pour lemonade or iced tea in for a very refreshing, low-calorie, cool-down treat.
5. Practice yoga or meditation every day. I recently bought a gymnastic mat (thick kind) to place on the pool deck. Breathe, stretch, relax, and renew!
6. Be sure to get a good night’s sleep. In order to have deep, restorative sleep, our body temperature needs to lower. Try Valerian root, which helps the body naturally cool off so you can sleep better. Avoid caffeine later in the day, and stop using electronics at least an hour before the lights go out.
7. Chew on some ice. Besides cooling you off, your body will extend a little extra effort to melt them. So as you chill, you can burn a few more calories! I love multitasking!
8. Head to the river . . . any river! Get the entire family out floating, fishing, wading, or whatever. Don’t forget Fido!
9. Eat lots of garlic, which repels mosquitoes. Apply Avon’s Skin-So-Soft, and spray your yard regularly. When those buggers do bite, use topical Benadryl to stop the itch.
10. Go to the movies. Theatres are near ice-age temperatures and provide a cool outing. Summer has some super-cool movies coming out, too.
Before we know it, summer will be but a mere memory, so enjoy every moment! I’ll see you at the movies!
Be sure to check out my fun A Busy Family’s Guide to Being FIT and order your copy today!